Skip to main content

A-Z Blog Challenge "L"-The Lightning Struck Lovers

Day eleven and the letter "L" for the A-Z Blog Challenge. If this is your first time here, my A-Z challenge is based on Urban Legends, and follows the life of a small town Nevada reporter, Adele.
If you are stopping by from the challenge (or anywhere else, like the Parajunkee Hop or Facebook)-feel free to join the Bluestocking Club, or follow me on Twitter! Thanks everyone for all your comments, I am still trying to catch up, but if you leave your blog url, I *will* get to you!


Adele's story continues...
Remember that story I told you about the Devil's Chair, a few stories back? This next story, I suspect, sprung up for similar reasons. While I have my opinion that our Devils' Chair might actually have some truth to it, based on the evidence I've seen, this next one I'm pretty sure is all fictional. I've been to Lover's Rock. (Who with is none of your business!) And while the rock formation is there, and indeed looks like a couple in an embrace, I have my doubts about its origin, but this is the way the story goes:

It all starts with the way the rocks form in the canyons around here--if the face of a cliff looks like an actual face, there must be a sleeping giant trapped in there for some long past wrong deed. But there are people who swear this next one is true...
So many of these stories involve teenagers, but this one involves a tourist couple in their 30's, who went exploring the canyons and washes that surround our town. If you drive to the tallest hill--usually the safest one because its close to town and boasts out satellite stations--you can find any number of spots to look out over our small town and watch the lights slowly turn on and warm the sky.
As couples are inclined to do, inspired by the romantic view, they started to get down and frisky.
During the summer, the desert it often prone to flashes of heat lighting, and we're no exception. A few flashes in the night sky above them might have warned them to stay away from the satellite and cell phone towers--literally a hotbed of electrical activity esepcially during hot and dry summer nights, but perhaps it was the beauty that made them stay. It's like watching fireworks on display especially for you.
One such violent flash struck the lovers on the top of their heads as they were kissing, filling them both with heat and light for a moment before killing them both, who were dead frozen (or fried) in fused lip lock with each other.
Over time, animals and nature took care of the remaining flesh that stuck to the two bodies, and instead of the bones crumbling to dust, moss and lichen began to grow over the bones, creating what's now known as Lover's Rock, the town's most unlucky make out spot.  







And now, dear readers, I must leave you. Don't forget, these stories will be available in their entirety at the end of the month when I collect them into a book of short stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Happy St. Patty's Day! Today, I am Irish for 24 hours. As everyone must know, I am a fan of lists, so here's list of top 10 Irish characters, top female characters in different genres, and book inscriptions from the awesome folks over at Shelf Awareness. Enjoy! If you are feeling Irish inspired today, and own a Kindle, there's a number of Irish/Celtic fairy tales and myths you can download for free.

A-Z Challenge "X" is for "X-Files"

Day twenty three and the letter "X" for the A-Z Blog Challenge. If this is your first time here, my A-Z challenge is based on Urban Legends, and follows the life of a small town Nevada reporter, Adele.
If you are stopping by from the challenge (or anywhere else, like the Parajunkee Hop or Facebook)-feel free to join the Bluestocking Club, or follow me on Twitter! I have a brand spanking new Facebook Page, so the more "likes" the better! Thanks everyone for all your comments, I am still trying to catch up, but if you leave your blog url, I *will* get to you!

Adele's story continues....


There's been a lot of speculation over the years about the existence of the secret branch of the government, specifically the FBI, known as the X Files. A government agency dedicated to strange, unusual, and possibly the paranormal. What better place to hide this supposed branch of government, but a stretch of desert that no one cares about and no one really knows exists (and pro…

The not so final word on 50 shades

There's a lot of hype, in case you've lived under a rock, about 50 Shades of Grey. Perhaps you've heard of this book somewhere? Well, I've heard mixed reviews about it and I found out a few facts that were puzzling to me.
One--that this book started out as Twilight fan fic. Say what?! What's amazing is that someone thought that writing Twilight fan fic was a GOOD idea. Second...really? Apparently the characters are so close in personality to the infamous Twilight characters, that would be enough to turn me off. Ana is a self-depreciating weak willed character who lets her life be run by Edward. I mean, Christian. I hate weak female characters that stay weak through the whole series. It's okay if you begin a story weak, then experience something, then learn from it, then change into someone stronger, but to not learn anything at all about yourself and always put a guy's needs in front of yours all the time is just plain silly and sends really the wrong mess…