Skip to main content

A-Z Blog Challenge "A"

This is my first time participating in the challenge, and I hope to create a short story collection out of this by the time the month of April is done! My theme is Urban Legends, so today begins with "Area 51". Adele is the thread of these pieces--a small town reporter for a rinky dink newspaper. So how does some one in a small town encounter all these Urban Legends? Read on to find out and maybe some of her stories will surprise (and maybe) intrigue you! Hope you enjoy!

My name is Adele, and I'm a journalist working for the Silver Star, the tiny little newsletter masquerading as the town newspaper in a small town in the middle of rural Nevada.

Anyone who called me told me what the lights were like, and wanted me to get out there as soon as possible to investigate. I had to turn my phone off. Passed right over my head, rushing at tremendous speed. It was like a parade of lights. They weren't trying to hide anything, it was right there above town, inprotected airspace,
It was seven lights in a V-shape, almost like a flock of birds,  low, huge, miles wide, silence, no hum, intending to be seen, coming down The Loneliest Road in America.
The entire town has to see this, how can they not? I got hundreds and hundreds of calls at my office. I know people think that only crazies see UFOs, but the cross section of humanity that poured into my voicemail and email were not lunatics. They were doctors, lawyers, plumbers, teachers, nurses, cashiers, truckers, everyone from every walk of life imaginable, every age imaginable.
The reports we got later were that everyone saw the lights, but nothing appeared on radar. People think because Nevada is so isolated, that the small towns out here don't matter, so who cares if the government is testing an aircraft, because that is the accepted version of what people saw that night.
Problem is, the government keeps denying it, then putting out press that we're all a bunch of rednecks in tin foil hats, the quickest way to discredit us.
We didn’t know what to say, hadn’t seen or heard of anything like this before. Wasn’t a a helicopter, wasn't a plane, I can tell you that much.

But, the wonder of it all! So many people of so many different backgrounds all coming together with the EXACT SAME STORY. Does that make sense to you?
 People, the next day came out of their houses and into the streets, wondering what is going on. The internet was down. The phones--both landlines and cell phones either didn't work or would emit the strangest buzzing-clicking sound.
We didn’t have answers because we didn’t know either. We had a humvee drive through, a man in camouflage tell us it was some kind of magnetic surge, some kind of mess up in the electrical grid, which I think are two different things. I don't think he counted on anyone noticing.
All they left us with was intrigue and excitement--and more questions than answers with a sense of the miraculous. Whatever happened was not a fluke, not a random event, and not an accident. This was a well orchestrated-almost a choreography lights, an extraterrestrial ballet in the sky.
And to tell you the truth, not many people I talked to were really all that frightened. It wasn't a War of the Worlds type invasion. They were just in awe, and incredibly joined together in a common experience that I think untied this town in just the most unexpected way. For a time, anyway.

The cover up begins. We asked what it was and the army's response was basically: “You don’t have strange lights over your town.”
So, I say to you: pay attention to what went on here. They all want to say I’m crazy, that we're all crazy, too much isolation, even a couple of in-bred redneck remarks. Either that, or the constant sun combined with The Hills Have Eyes type of nuclear energy has fried our brains.
You shouldn’t ask questions. It’s something they don’t want to deal with it. Nobody ever got back to me when I called them about the lights not appearing on radar, or to clarify the "You don't have lights over your town" comment. What is that? I'm not crazy--I know what I saw, and I know what other people told me, they're afraid for me to talk about it. Any day now they'll either show up in black suits or white coats until I shut up.
Well, no one ever accused me of shutting up, that's for sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Happy St. Patty's Day! Today, I am Irish for 24 hours. As everyone must know, I am a fan of lists, so here's list of top 10 Irish characters, top female characters in different genres, and book inscriptions from the awesome folks over at Shelf Awareness. Enjoy! If you are feeling Irish inspired today, and own a Kindle, there's a number of Irish/Celtic fairy tales and myths you can download for free.

A-Z Challenge "X" is for "X-Files"

Day twenty three and the letter "X" for the A-Z Blog Challenge. If this is your first time here, my A-Z challenge is based on Urban Legends, and follows the life of a small town Nevada reporter, Adele.
If you are stopping by from the challenge (or anywhere else, like the Parajunkee Hop or Facebook)-feel free to join the Bluestocking Club, or follow me on Twitter! I have a brand spanking new Facebook Page, so the more "likes" the better! Thanks everyone for all your comments, I am still trying to catch up, but if you leave your blog url, I *will* get to you!

Adele's story continues....


There's been a lot of speculation over the years about the existence of the secret branch of the government, specifically the FBI, known as the X Files. A government agency dedicated to strange, unusual, and possibly the paranormal. What better place to hide this supposed branch of government, but a stretch of desert that no one cares about and no one really knows exists (and pro…

Why not take a break? My answer.

Why not take a break from negativity and learn about each other? 1. Who are you named after? There is a literal, fascist administration in office in the United States. 2. Last time you cried? Resist it, unerringly, with all your strength. 3. Pop or water? A woman, scheduled to be deported, attempted suicide in the airport. 4. What is your favorite lunch meat? Donate to the ACLU. 5. Longest relationship? Law enforcement is illegally enforcing the ban, even though a stay has been issued by the court system. 6. Do you still have your tonsils? Soon, we won't have the courts to depend on, either. 7. Would you bungee jump? #NoMoreElectoralCollege 8. How many years at current job? Maintain cash reserves. 9. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Make sure to take care of your mental health, in an amazingly tumultuous and stressful time. 10. Roller coasters? #IpunchedRichardSpencer 11. Favorite ice cream? Many of the Democrats are folding, do not depend on them. Exceptions: Maxine Waters an…