Skip to main content

R.I.P. Ray Bradbury





I have to say that I resisted Science Fiction for a long time. I was a snooty fantasy, horror and contemporary fiction lover. Rocketships, space men, and robots weren't my thing. Those were for--gasp!--boys, and those things frankly didn't interest me. I thought about life on other planets, and I liked movies like Independence Day, War of the Worlds, Deep Impact, and some of the old Twilight Zone stuff, (and I'll even admit to liking Contact, even if the plot device of the alien being her dad was a tad contrived)) but I wouldn't go out and READ about them. I had a read a multitude of crappy science fiction and I quickly dismissed it as not worth my time.
Until the day I discovered what Science Fiction really was about and it was on that day I discovered Ray Bradbury. We hadn't been required to read Bradbury in school, and I kept hearing about this book, Fahrenheit 451, and I figured if people were that intrigued by it, maybe there was something to it. This was in college and someone lent their copy to me--and I was blown away.
I found this link, for the first time between politics, and writing, and science fiction. I too had wondered what it would be like, living in a world where free thought was a death sentence. I had my own experiences with these issues, so naturally I loved what I read.
Science Fiction now opened doors and possibilities in my head that I had only a nodding acquaintance with. The more good science fiction I read, the more I made connections between critical thinking (a HUGE part of my teaching and learning process with my Intro to Comp students), my personal politics, and challenges to current cultures, ideas, and beliefs.In short, Science Fiction made me THINK about my world, and the future of my world, and the immense possibilities of the human race--our capability for such compassion and wonder, and our capability for conformity and destruction. Now I use Science Fiction in my own writing and research classes, and it all started with one man, and one book. And for that, Mr. Bradbury, I thank you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The not so final word on 50 shades

There's a lot of hype, in case you've lived under a rock, about 50 Shades of Grey. Perhaps you've heard of this book somewhere? Well, I've heard mixed reviews about it and I found out a few facts that were puzzling to me.
One--that this book started out as Twilight fan fic. Say what?! What's amazing is that someone thought that writing Twilight fan fic was a GOOD idea. Second...really? Apparently the characters are so close in personality to the infamous Twilight characters, that would be enough to turn me off. Ana is a self-depreciating weak willed character who lets her life be run by Edward. I mean, Christian. I hate weak female characters that stay weak through the whole series. It's okay if you begin a story weak, then experience something, then learn from it, then change into someone stronger, but to not learn anything at all about yourself and always put a guy's needs in front of yours all the time is just plain silly and sends really the wrong mess…

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Happy St. Patty's Day! Today, I am Irish for 24 hours. As everyone must know, I am a fan of lists, so here's list of top 10 Irish characters, top female characters in different genres, and book inscriptions from the awesome folks over at Shelf Awareness. Enjoy! If you are feeling Irish inspired today, and own a Kindle, there's a number of Irish/Celtic fairy tales and myths you can download for free.

A-Z Challenge "X" is for "X-Files"

Day twenty three and the letter "X" for the A-Z Blog Challenge. If this is your first time here, my A-Z challenge is based on Urban Legends, and follows the life of a small town Nevada reporter, Adele.
If you are stopping by from the challenge (or anywhere else, like the Parajunkee Hop or Facebook)-feel free to join the Bluestocking Club, or follow me on Twitter! I have a brand spanking new Facebook Page, so the more "likes" the better! Thanks everyone for all your comments, I am still trying to catch up, but if you leave your blog url, I *will* get to you!

Adele's story continues....


There's been a lot of speculation over the years about the existence of the secret branch of the government, specifically the FBI, known as the X Files. A government agency dedicated to strange, unusual, and possibly the paranormal. What better place to hide this supposed branch of government, but a stretch of desert that no one cares about and no one really knows exists (and pro…