Skip to main content

Things I'm Thankful For x's3: You are Not Alone, Politics and Books!

 There are a lot of things I am thankful for.

You Are Not Alone
I can remember many a Thanksgiving and holiday season I've spent alone. And depressed, and probably in some degree of pain from a medical condition. So I'm thankful for my husband, and the love he's given me over the years. I am so happy, grateful, lucky and blessed I have someone who loves me, cares for me and looks out for me.
But I'll never forget what it felt like to be that girl--scared, sick, alone, and depressed. No one to talk to. Nowhere to go. Feeling lost, feeling so isolated from the family experience of love and togetherness, no matter how dysfunctional many of our families can be.
If anyone who reads this blog ever feels that way, and wants someone to chat with, I'm always available on Twitter! Seriously, I'm there all the time! @xbluestockingx
And so I'm thankful for social media that lets me connect with awesome like-minded people. 

Politics
This is from Randi Rhodes, I did *NOT* write this--this is all her, but I am thankful for the exact same thing, this is merely a quotation (Randi's words appear in quotations):
"I’m also thankful that, even though we’re driving toward a fiscal cliff, Republicans are not in control of the wheel. They’re fighting with the President for control of the wheel, so really nobody is in control. And having nobody in control is still better than having Republicans in control. President Obama is going to sit down and deal with Congressional Republicans over a way to avoid going over that fiscal cliff. From the story of the original Thanksgiving we learned that even people with profound differences can sit down together and celebrate the bounty of this great land. Of course, in the years and decades following that celebration, one group methodically took that land from the other group, so let’s keep the similarities to thankfulness and turkey.

This year President Obama continued the tradition of “pardoning” a Thanksgiving turkey ( video here). Think about it—of all the turkeys in this country, one gets picked out for special treatment. If Mitt Romney were president, that’s how everything would be run."

Speaking of the family togetherness I mentioned: later today we're going to be eating a late dinner (I think 6:30 is late for Thanksgiving dinner, but hey, I'm not cooking) at my in-laws. My in-laws are die hard Republicans. As you can see from this and other posts, I most certainly am not. So I know that later today I am going to have to hear some right wing political diatribe on why Obama is responsible for every bad thing that has happened in the history of the world since time began.
I made a plea earlier on Twitter, but in case it got lost: anybody have any tips about dealing with your conservative in laws? That doesn't involve alcohol. Hurting myself doesn't make someone else change their minds, or lay off the conspiracy theories, racism and homophobia. I'm open to ideas.


Books
You know what kept me company during all those alone times, during the looooong hours from  the time I wake up in the morning on previous Thanksgivings, feeling bad and in pain. Books, of course. Those tiny time capsules or escape tunnels that let me get away and hang out with much more interesting people, who take me on adventures, lead me into romances, make me think Really Deep Thoughts and always have time for me.

Writing
I can forget writing. I know what its like to write for my life.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The not so final word on 50 shades

There's a lot of hype, in case you've lived under a rock, about 50 Shades of Grey. Perhaps you've heard of this book somewhere? Well, I've heard mixed reviews about it and I found out a few facts that were puzzling to me.
One--that this book started out as Twilight fan fic. Say what?! What's amazing is that someone thought that writing Twilight fan fic was a GOOD idea. Second...really? Apparently the characters are so close in personality to the infamous Twilight characters, that would be enough to turn me off. Ana is a self-depreciating weak willed character who lets her life be run by Edward. I mean, Christian. I hate weak female characters that stay weak through the whole series. It's okay if you begin a story weak, then experience something, then learn from it, then change into someone stronger, but to not learn anything at all about yourself and always put a guy's needs in front of yours all the time is just plain silly and sends really the wrong mess…

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Happy St. Patty's Day! Today, I am Irish for 24 hours. As everyone must know, I am a fan of lists, so here's list of top 10 Irish characters, top female characters in different genres, and book inscriptions from the awesome folks over at Shelf Awareness. Enjoy! If you are feeling Irish inspired today, and own a Kindle, there's a number of Irish/Celtic fairy tales and myths you can download for free.

A-Z Challenge "X" is for "X-Files"

Day twenty three and the letter "X" for the A-Z Blog Challenge. If this is your first time here, my A-Z challenge is based on Urban Legends, and follows the life of a small town Nevada reporter, Adele.
If you are stopping by from the challenge (or anywhere else, like the Parajunkee Hop or Facebook)-feel free to join the Bluestocking Club, or follow me on Twitter! I have a brand spanking new Facebook Page, so the more "likes" the better! Thanks everyone for all your comments, I am still trying to catch up, but if you leave your blog url, I *will* get to you!

Adele's story continues....


There's been a lot of speculation over the years about the existence of the secret branch of the government, specifically the FBI, known as the X Files. A government agency dedicated to strange, unusual, and possibly the paranormal. What better place to hide this supposed branch of government, but a stretch of desert that no one cares about and no one really knows exists (and pro…