Skip to main content

Armchair BEA Genre: From Kindergarten to Tween

Thinking about the books I grew up with as a kid is one of my most fondest memories of growing up. These books were (are) my friends, and I know I can say that here and not feel weird. If I say that around non-bookish people, you get the looks. If you say that around book people, you get understanding nods.

I have say I don't remember much of early childhood books, I do remember flipping through books of fairy tales and the Little Golden Books and being absolutely entranced, fascinated, and even at that small age, I attempted my own crude preschool attempts at writing. This was pre-Disneyification of girlhood, so thankfully I wasn't immersed in the world of Disney princesses--but the REAL princesses from Hans Christen Anderson and the Brothers Grimm and all the varieties in between. My absolute favorite was "East O the Sun, West 'O the Moon":

 

By the end of 1st grade, I was reading the classics: Black Beauty, Treasure Island, stuff like that. I still believe in the classics and fairy tales as wonderful gateway in which to experience the great minds and adventures of this world.
When I got older, 3rd and 4th grade, I would have to say Laura Ingalls Wilder and Anne of Green Gables would be the essential reading for girls that age--they were certainly influential on me.I loved the story of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Lucy Maud Montgomery defying the conventions at the time by being writers when the world and society at the time were telling them to say home and embrace more traditional roles. A young feminist in the making!  Little did I know that in my adult years, I would become more like LIW and live in the country in a tiny rural town and write about my experiences as well....


 



 

The next stage in my growing up would be the Judy Blume stage. I can't tell you how many times I must have read and re-read her books in middle school. Especially these:



This should be required reading for all young girls, in my opinion. I didn't even find out until college these books were banned because of "graphic" depictions of masturbation and talks about (gasp!) periods and other icky girl stuff. People are really uptight. It's a fact of life, girls need to know about it, get over it.

So finally we enter the Tween stage, which is where I pretty much got into all things Sci Fi and Fantasy. I read some of those books before, and had written my own little stories about a girl who can travel through space, but I didn't get really hardcore into it until the end of middle school and beginning of high school in which I devoured all things Mercedes Lackey, the Dragonlance series, many graphic novels (that's when Neil Gaiman's Sandman series first took off), Charles de Lint, and Ursula Le Guin, among many, many others.  The library was my friend. And still is.





This was a lovely little trip down memory lane!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The not so final word on 50 shades

There's a lot of hype, in case you've lived under a rock, about 50 Shades of Grey. Perhaps you've heard of this book somewhere? Well, I've heard mixed reviews about it and I found out a few facts that were puzzling to me.
One--that this book started out as Twilight fan fic. Say what?! What's amazing is that someone thought that writing Twilight fan fic was a GOOD idea. Second...really? Apparently the characters are so close in personality to the infamous Twilight characters, that would be enough to turn me off. Ana is a self-depreciating weak willed character who lets her life be run by Edward. I mean, Christian. I hate weak female characters that stay weak through the whole series. It's okay if you begin a story weak, then experience something, then learn from it, then change into someone stronger, but to not learn anything at all about yourself and always put a guy's needs in front of yours all the time is just plain silly and sends really the wrong mess…

A-Z Challenge "X" is for "X-Files"

Day twenty three and the letter "X" for the A-Z Blog Challenge. If this is your first time here, my A-Z challenge is based on Urban Legends, and follows the life of a small town Nevada reporter, Adele.
If you are stopping by from the challenge (or anywhere else, like the Parajunkee Hop or Facebook)-feel free to join the Bluestocking Club, or follow me on Twitter! I have a brand spanking new Facebook Page, so the more "likes" the better! Thanks everyone for all your comments, I am still trying to catch up, but if you leave your blog url, I *will* get to you!

Adele's story continues....


There's been a lot of speculation over the years about the existence of the secret branch of the government, specifically the FBI, known as the X Files. A government agency dedicated to strange, unusual, and possibly the paranormal. What better place to hide this supposed branch of government, but a stretch of desert that no one cares about and no one really knows exists (and pro…

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Happy St. Patty's Day! Today, I am Irish for 24 hours. As everyone must know, I am a fan of lists, so here's list of top 10 Irish characters, top female characters in different genres, and book inscriptions from the awesome folks over at Shelf Awareness. Enjoy! If you are feeling Irish inspired today, and own a Kindle, there's a number of Irish/Celtic fairy tales and myths you can download for free.