Skip to main content

A to Z Challenge Day 6 "F"


Today is Day 6 and I'm on the letter "F". For this prompt from The Waste Land I chose one of the most used lines: "I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

This is why I love writing so much, I can't wait to see what will happen or who will show up, or what characters will walk through or what story from my life I'll connect it to. Sometimes it's a surprise. 



A)    Fear in a handful of dust
Sagebrush sometimes becomes the smoke
Drifting from campfires at night
Making shapes on the cave wall
Or maybe under the bridge of this city.
I would for her become a
Teenager again, try it all again.
Your skin, love, I could trace and touch all day.
Made the girl half sleeping on me
And love like a leash between us two
The leash could be a wish and I wanted you
Like a new sundress
Drifting on the line in the backyard
Brave like the time I paid you
To be a boy for a night.
Not just a boy, my boi.
She be a boy, the guy on the corner said
Covering his teeth with his hand as he laughed
She be a boy! He crowed.
He’s a she, that’s right, she’s a chick
She be brave.
And the man was actually Baron Samedi
(He had wicked teeth, it gave him away)
And this was a fairytale adventure
And he had this magic dust he kept in his pocket.
Which we traded for.
Before with you
That was what I was doing that winter
I was Viola,
Being a boy as a disguise
Oh its just a little lie
Didn’t stop even when she went home and
The play was over
Hit the bed at a dead run.
Since the month you made me regret everything.  
Would you in some stranger’s bedrooms realize
I can see your palms running across someone else’s skin.
Your goal was to be as big as Texas and slinky as Samedi’s smile
Who came home dancing like he always does.
Those who inspire fear hardly ever fear anything themselves.
You buy her nightclubs
Hit the wall and for a week afterward she became a ghost
Retreating in solitude.
Now there are 10 cast off lovers lined up like coffins
Because she never cleans up after herself
But you still get to have a friend and still be
Be dusty and alone, what’s not to like about that?
Have lovers like
The gypsy-girl on the futon, her skirt reflecting the afternoon light
Hiked up across her thighs.
Braided and blond she
Invites the jealous lover over
Sleeping and dancing and taking dust
All of it, it’s all I have and I always have to pay
But I keep her happy
Eating all my food and taking endless baths
Candle wax ringing the rub like rust.
Dance
Like you were never lied to
Spray painted her name on the side of a building somewhere
If I could remember where I’d tell you.
But if I hear you right
You waited for years
But for that, and what else, you’re against your own mind
We’re always at war with ourselves.
Imagine I was brave
Before the needy winter hit me with its dry laugh.
I was both heavy and floating on the last of the dust
Behind the exit where we missed the motel and
the desert glow in the parking lot still baking us after the sun went down
Like a girl you’re a moon which is a different kind of desert
And always changing.
But she left me by the stop sign,
Like some trash to find my own way home and I was broke.
Had to call the gypsy to pick me up and buy me cigarettes, my consolation prize
(a giant slurpee too)
The heat will destroy you.
I needed the sugar, she said don’t worry about it.
She speaks to ghosts through her cards, and says
The Devil will come up again
Open eyed and curious.



Comments

  1. VaporFi is the highest quality electronic cigarettes provider on the market.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The not so final word on 50 shades

There's a lot of hype, in case you've lived under a rock, about 50 Shades of Grey. Perhaps you've heard of this book somewhere? Well, I've heard mixed reviews about it and I found out a few facts that were puzzling to me.
One--that this book started out as Twilight fan fic. Say what?! What's amazing is that someone thought that writing Twilight fan fic was a GOOD idea. Second...really? Apparently the characters are so close in personality to the infamous Twilight characters, that would be enough to turn me off. Ana is a self-depreciating weak willed character who lets her life be run by Edward. I mean, Christian. I hate weak female characters that stay weak through the whole series. It's okay if you begin a story weak, then experience something, then learn from it, then change into someone stronger, but to not learn anything at all about yourself and always put a guy's needs in front of yours all the time is just plain silly and sends really the wrong mess…

A-Z Challenge "X" is for "X-Files"

Day twenty three and the letter "X" for the A-Z Blog Challenge. If this is your first time here, my A-Z challenge is based on Urban Legends, and follows the life of a small town Nevada reporter, Adele.
If you are stopping by from the challenge (or anywhere else, like the Parajunkee Hop or Facebook)-feel free to join the Bluestocking Club, or follow me on Twitter! I have a brand spanking new Facebook Page, so the more "likes" the better! Thanks everyone for all your comments, I am still trying to catch up, but if you leave your blog url, I *will* get to you!

Adele's story continues....


There's been a lot of speculation over the years about the existence of the secret branch of the government, specifically the FBI, known as the X Files. A government agency dedicated to strange, unusual, and possibly the paranormal. What better place to hide this supposed branch of government, but a stretch of desert that no one cares about and no one really knows exists (and pro…

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Irish Books; Strong Female Characters; Book Inscriptions

Happy St. Patty's Day! Today, I am Irish for 24 hours. As everyone must know, I am a fan of lists, so here's list of top 10 Irish characters, top female characters in different genres, and book inscriptions from the awesome folks over at Shelf Awareness. Enjoy! If you are feeling Irish inspired today, and own a Kindle, there's a number of Irish/Celtic fairy tales and myths you can download for free.